Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rishi Tea’s Dragon Well Review

Type: Green
Origin: Zhejiang, China
Price: Free sample (regular price - $5.50 for 1oz.)
Vendor: Rishi Tea
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 180°F, steeped for 2 - 3 minutes
Overall Score: 4.8 out of 5

This particular Dragon Well is organic. The leaves are pressed flat so that they are long, slender pieces marbled with various shades of green. The aroma, however subtle, is toasty and grassy. The dry leaves smell buttery with a rich sweetness.

While the leaves are steeping, the tea has a fresh, sweet, buttery aroma. The liquor is a light greenish yellow color.





The taste is quite buttery and creamy at first. As I continue to sip I can taste the subtle nutty flavors mingle with the slight grassiness. No bitterness at all… in fact, I find it rather sweet. The tea also lacks any unpleasant dryness that sometimes accompanies green teas.

This particular Dragon Well seems to be creamier than others that I have had. Usually the nutty flavor is front and center which kicks the rest of the flavors to the background. But, this one holds that buttered toast flavor up front, making it a savory tea.

2 comments:

Alex Zorach said...

I wasn't crazy about this tea. (my review can be found here) I liked it a lot, but it just wasn't strong / interesting enough for me. I think I like green teas that have more bite. I really love Rishi's Jade Cloud though, and it's much less expensive.

But I suppose it's mainly the style. I have yet to try a dragon well that I am really wowed by.

Still, I love Rishi. A tea that is "alright" from Rishi, I would still prefer to teas from number of other tea companies.

Anonymous said...

Try the Xanadu Zhejiang Dragon well. It is delicious and brews really well.Isn't weak or bitter.