Friday, November 7, 2008

Bengal Breakfast Review

Type: Black
Origin: Base of the Himalayas
Price: Sample (regular price - $14.29 for 2oz.)
Vendor: Teatulia
Brewing Method: 1 pyramid, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 200°F-210°F, steeped for 3 minutes.
Overall Score: 4.2 out of 5


According to Teatulia’s website, Bengal Breakfast is 100% organic black tea from the base of the Himalayas. The aroma of the dry leaves was very subtle; I couldn’t smell much, but what I did smell was the typical aroma of black tea. Most of the leaves in the pyramid were whole, dark leaves – which is always good to see.

Teatulia's instructions said to steep this tea for 1-2 minutes. All of the black teas that I have ever had said to steep for 4-5 minutes. So, I compromised and steeped it for 3 minutes. The aroma of the freshly brewed tea is unlike any black tea that I’ve had so far. It was very subtle and reminds me a lot of the aroma of oolong tea. The liquor is a reddish-orange color.

The tea was not as bold as I thought it would be. Don’t get me wrong, I would still consider it a full bodied tea. However, since this tea was described as Teatulia’s “boldest black tea,” I guess my expectations were a little different.

Nonetheless, this tea is very smooth and pleasantly malty. Even though it is not as bold as Irish breakfast (which really kicks you in the butt), it is still rather brisk and lively. It is not bitter, but a tiny bit astringent. The aftertaste lingers for quite some time. I think I can safely conclude that this would be a great addition to any breakfast!

No comments: