Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Green Tea Tropical Review

Type: Green
Origin: China
Price: Sample (regular price - $8.95 for 15 pouches)
Vendor: Mighty Leaf
Brewing Method: 1 bag, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 170°F-180°F, steeped for 3 minutes.
Overall Score: 4.5 out of 5

Green Tea Tropical is a Chinese green tea base with a wide variety of ingredients which include banana, strawberry, pineapple, guava, and red, white, and blue cornflower pieces. When I opened the package, I could smell the banana and strawberry immediately. The pineapple scent followed shortly after. The mixture presented a colorful sight in the silk pouch. Pineapple pieces along with some red and blue cornflowers could easily be seen against the green tea leaves.

The strawberry and especially the banana aromas were what I could smell as the tea was steeping. With all of the flavors coming together, the tea smelled very sweet and fruity. The liquor was a light yellow, golden color.

After tasting this tea, I concluded that it was a very light bodied and lightly flavored tea. The fruit flavors of this tea were added in just the right amount in order to not mask the light flavor of the green tea. I tasted the banana and pineapple more than the other flavors, but it did have that “tropical” aspect to it. There was a little bit of a bite to this tea, which I’m assuming came from the tartness of the pineapple and guava. A touch of sugar could remedy that problem, however.

The fruity flavors made this tea refreshing and invigorating. I think this would be a good tea to use to introduce someone to the light, crisp taste of green tea (because I know some people are turned off to green tea because it can be bitter and astringent). The fruit flavors had a tendency to linger in my mouth for a while, but they were not at all overpowering.

The only negative thing that I could say about this tea was that it was so light bodied that it almost tasted watery.

No comments: