Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Chamomile Citrus Review

Type: Herbal
Origin: Egypt
Price: Sample (regular price - $9.95 for 15 pouches)
Vendor: Mighty Leaf
Brewing Method: 1 bag, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 200°F-205°F, steeped for 5 minutes
Overall Score: 4.8 out of 5

Chamomile Citrus is a an herbal blend of rosehips, orange peel, chamomile flowers, lemon grass, lemon myrtle, nana mint, and hibiscus flowers. The orange peel, green lemon grass, and the mixture of light and dark pieces of the other herbs made this bag of tea very colorful. I could plainly see the herbs and flowers that made up this tea.


The aroma was a little more subtle than I thought it would be. I thought I was going to be hit with a wave of citrus. To my pleasant surprise, I could smell the orange and the lemon distinctly but it was not overpowering. While the tea was steeping the aroma was very fruity. The orange and lemon smell seemed to blend together. The liquor was a dark yellow, copper color.

This tea tasted just like it smelled – lemony. The lemon was the main flavor that I tasted, along with a hint of orange. The flavor was noticeable, but subtle, which made this tea very soothing. There was no harshness or astringency to it. Actually, it was refreshing. I’m sure icing this tea would make a nice caffeine free treat, as well.

Chamomile is a very calming herb. It is consumed to halt a racing mind and relief stress. By adding citrus flavors to chamomile, it made the tea even more of a relaxing experience. Because this tea was caffeine free, I could see myself having a cup while lounging in front of the television or reading a good book before bed time.

I wish I could taste more of the orange than the lemon flavor, but that is just my personal preference. On the other hand, I really liked this tea, plain and simple.

Caution: Do not consume chamomile if you are allergic to ragweed.

No comments: