Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fukamushi Sencha Supreme Review

Type: Green
Origin: Shizuoka Prefecture
Price: $22.95 for 110 grams (approx. 4 oz.)
Vendor: O-Cha
Brewing Method: Per Instructed – 3.0g of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 150°F-160°F, steeped for 1 minute.
Overall Score: 4.7 out of 5

According to O-Cha’s website, Fukamushi Sencha Supreme is a first rate, first flush green tea. It was harvested in the first round of picking in 2008. It is described as a very intense green tea and tends to be more astringent than other greens.

I barely opened the package and I could smell the grassiness of the leaves. The aroma of the leaves was hard to describe because it wasn’t sweet smelling, but very vegetal. The dry leaves are so pretty. They are very dark green specks which ranged from dust to rolled up leaves about a ¼ of an inch long.

More of the vegetal aroma was present during the steeping process. The liquor was an amazing green color. My camera doesn’t do it justice.

Wow, they were not kidding about the intense flavor. Each sip I was hit with a bold grassy, vegetal flavor that lasted a long time in my mouth. This tea was slightly bitter and quite astringent, just like O-Cha said it would be. I really didn’t mind the astringency so much because the supreme flavor is what made me really like this tea.

No comments: