Monday, August 4, 2008

Island Breeze Iced Tea Review

Type: Herbal
Origin: Not Stated
Price: Sample (Regular price - $14.95 for 10 bags w/ tin. Each bag makes 1 gallon.) **On Sale for $11.21 until August 15**
Vendor: Mighty Leaf
Brewing Method: Per instructed - 1 bag, 1/2 gallon of filtered water, heated to 200°F-205°F, steeped for 5 minutes, added ice until liquid reached top of 1- gallon pitcher, chilled in refrigerator
Overall Score: 4.6 out of 5

Island Breeze is an herbal blend of hibiscus, rose hip, blackberry leaves, rose hip seed, and natural flavors. When I opened the package, the dry leaves definitely smelled fruity and flowery, but I could not distinguish any one certain ingredient (even though, I wish I knew what “natural flavors” were in it). It had an aroma of fruit punch, basically.

The blackberry aroma stood out while brewing. The liquor was a very bright pinkish-purple color. I really liked how the color turned out with this tea.

Just as I suspected, the tea tasted a lot like fruit punch. The blackberry made the brew very fruity, sweet, and refreshing. The other herbs gave this tea a nice, flowery aftertaste.

You all know that I never add sugar to my tea, whether it needs it or not, but I think this tea is sweet enough without sugar. However, if you would like to bring out more of the blackberry flavor, I’m sure sugar would do the job.

There was no bitterness or astringency. It was a little tart at first, but that died down after a couple of sips. Overall, I think this tea would make a refreshing, flavorful, sugar free treat any time.

2 comments:

TeaLady said...

I noticed you use a lot of Mighty Leaf and some Twinnings. Have you tried any teas from Metropolitan Tea? They have a fantastic selection of loose/bag tea. http://www.metrotea.com.

Brittiny said...

Thanks for the website. I will check it out!