Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Simple Leaf’s Honeybee Review

Type: Oolong
Origin: Meghma Estate in Ilam, Nepal
Price: $4.95 for 1oz; $13.95 for 4oz.
Vendor: The Simple Leaf
Brewing Method: 1 teaspoon of leaves (2.5-3.0 grams), 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 170°F-180°F, steeped for 2-3 minutes.
Overall Score: 4.5 out of 5

Honeybee is an oolong tea from Nepal. According to The Simple Leaf, “When infused, the tea exudes the aroma of native Daphne bholua and Rhododendron plants, with a slight touch of honey and fruit.” I can smell something sweet in the dry leaf, but I think these leaves have an aroma more like green tea than oolong tea - having that grassy, earthy smell (I am NOT saying that I think it’s green tea, but just that it has a green tea AROMA). The whole, rolled leaves are different shades of brown.





The sweet honey aroma is brought out while the leaves are steeping. It started smelling more like an oolong as it was brewing, also. The liquor is a pretty golden yellow color.

Contrary to what the dry leaves smelled like, the tea tastes just like an oolong. The super sweet honey flavor is what I taste, first. Then, I am left with the oolong after taste that lingers for a while. This brew is definitely not bitter, nor is it astringent. I am not kidding when I say super sweet. If you really think this needs sugar, you are out of your mind… which makes me think this would make a very nice iced tea.

No comments: