Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Simple Leaf’s Tankha Review

Type: Oolong
Origin: Phoobsering Estate in Darjeeling, India
Price: $4.95 for 1oz; $13.95 for 4oz.
Vendor: The Simple Leaf
Brewing Method: 1 teaspoon of leaves (2.5 – 3.0 grams), 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 170°F-180°F, steeped for 2-3 minutes.
Overall Score: 4.9 out of 5

Tankha is an oolong tea from Darjeeling, India. Just as I suspected, the tea leaves for this blend are whole, long, rolled leaves. They are dark in color and smell vegetal, fresh, and fruity. I said this with the last oolong that I tried from The Simple Leaf and it holds true this time as well – the dry leaves smell more like green tea than oolong tea (which is not a bad thing).

Once again, the oolong aroma is brought out when the leaves are hit with the warm water. The liquor is a beautiful deep golden color and the smell of it is a combination of fruity and woodsy.




The tea tastes very sweet and fruity. There is a nice briskness to it, as well. A slight earthy or woodsy aftertaste lingers for only a short while. Bitterness or astringency is not a problem for this blend. I would actually say it is quite smooth.

I really liked this one. Normally, I really have to be in the mood to drink an oolong, but not in this case. I love the slight woodsy flavor which gives it a very light smoky taste, but the fruitiness of it keeps it sweet and not too harsh. I think I may have a new oolong favorite.

While having some technical difficulties uploading this post, I made three infusions of this tea. There was no loss of flavor in the second or third infusion and I am sure I could have made more.

No comments: