Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mighty Leaf’s Jade Oolong Review

Type: Oolong
Origin: China
Price: Sample (regular price - $28.95 for 4oz.)
Vendor: Mighty Leaf
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 200°F-205°F, steeped for 3 - 5 minutes
Overall Score: 4.1 out of 5

The leaves of the Jade Oolong are small, rolled balls about twice the size of gun powder tea. I can see a few stems still attached to the bottom of some leaves. The leaves are all shades of green but its more dark than light. Although the aroma of the dry leaves is very subtle, they smell fresh and grassy.

While brewing, the tea smells like a typical oolong. The aroma is quite vegetal. The liquor lives up to its name, Jade, because it is a pretty green color with a slightly yellow tint.





The taste is very crisp, clean, fresh, and vegetal. It is not bitter, but it is fairly astringent. This tea reminds me of spring with its sweet, vegetal taste and it’s earthy aftertaste… but I could be biased since I am looking out the window at all of the flowers starting to bloom as I’m tasting this tea.

The tea dries my mouth out a little, but the overall flavor of the tea is good. This tea is a greener oolong and I would say it is somewhere between light and medium bodied. I say this because it is not subtle by any means, however it still has a delicate flavor.

No comments: