Thursday, June 11, 2009

Teas Etc’s Mango Nut Review

Type: Rooibos
Origin: South Africa
Price: Sample (regular price – $7.95 for 3oz.)
Vendor: Teas Etc
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 180°F-190°F, steeped for 4-6 minutes
Overall Score: 4.5 out of 5

Mango Nut is a combination of mango, macadamia, and coconut. The first thing I smell is a double dose of fruity aromas from the mango followed by the rooibos. I also smell some faint nuttiness in the background. The blend is a mix of the reddish brown rooibos and twisted slice of yellow mango.

It may be just me, but I think the aroma of the tea reminds me of an alcoholic drink like the fuzzy navel or something along that line. It has that pungent citrus smell. The liquor is a beautiful caramel or orange color.





The taste is fruity – between the mango and the rooibos. I taste the mango slightly more than the rooibos. At first, I wasn’t sure if both fruity flavors would fight for attention (because rooibos likes to do whatever it can to be front and center).

However, I think the rooibos complements the mango and gives it that citrusy-but-not-too-citrusy flavor. Some nutty flavors can be noted in the aftertaste. It is not bitter or astringent. It is rather refreshing. I think this would be even better on ice.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Interesting! I don't normally care for nut-flavored teas but this sounds good.