Thursday, July 9, 2009

Adagio’s Rooibos Vanilla Chai Review

Type: Chai (rooibos base)
Origin: South Africa
Price: Sample (regular price – $7 for 4oz.)
Vendor: Adagio
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 170°F-180°F, steeped for 6-7 minutes
Overall Score: 4.0 out of 5

Rooibos Vanilla is rooibos blended with vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and cardamom. The first thing I smell is the cloves, followed by the fruity scent of the rooibos. In the background I can smell the vanilla and cinnamon. The blend is really colorful with the yellow cardamom, black and brown spices, and the red flecks of rooibos.

The liquor is a dark orange color. When I smell the freshly brewed tea, the cloves jump at me first and then I smell the fruity rooibos along with the sweet vanilla.





When I taste the tea, I get the spices on my tongue right away. The rooibos floats in the background and I can taste the sweet vanilla a lot more than I thought I would. I can still taste the spicy cloves, but they provide the perfect amount of kick instead of being too overpowering (Finally!).

Between the vanilla and the rooibos the tea tastes quite sweet. It’s not bitter or astringent at all. Add milk and/or sugar if you want, but I think this blend is fine on its own.

No comments: