Friday, July 3, 2009

Adagio’s Thai Chai Review

Type: Chai (black base)
Origin: Ceylon
Price: Sample (regular price – $7 for 4oz.)
Vendor: Adagio
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 200°F-210°F, steeped for 4-5 minutes
Overall Score: 3.9 out of 5

Thai Chai is Ceylon black tea with a blend of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, coconut, and lemongrass. I did not spot one clove in the blend… and based on my last reviews on Adagio’s chai’s, I’m really ok with that. The first thing I smell is the ginger and cinnamon. Next, is the sweet and tangy lemon grass followed by the coconut. There are other spicy aromas in the background, as well. The blend is really colorful – the tiny black tea leaves almost get hidden by the slivers of lemon grass and pieces of coconut, cardamom, and cinnamon.

The liquor is a light orange color. While the tea is brewing, I smell the cinnamon and ginger first then the sweet coconut in the background. The overall aroma has a pleasant sweet and spicy mixture – one aroma doesn’t dominate the other.





When I sip the tea, I get the spicy flavors first, but the aftertaste is the sweet coconut and lemon grass. The slightly spicy ginger dances in and out of the sweet flavors. The tea is not bitter, but a little astringent. I feared an overbearing spicy cinnamon taste, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Adagio suggests adding milk or sugar, but I think this blend is fine on its own. It is hearty and full of flavor so it may be a nice “wake me up” breakfast tea. However, milk would mellow out the harshness of the spices and make it creamy and smooth.

2 comments:

Ilya said...

Thanks for the nice review

Brittiny said...

You are welcome! :)