Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mighty Leaf’s Mango Green Decaf Review

Type: Green - Decaffinated
Origin: Nilgiri, India
Price: Sample (regular price - $8.95 for 4oz.)
Vendor: Mighty Leaf
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 170°F-180°F, steeped for 2 - 3 minutes
Overall Score: 3.8 out of 5

Mango Green Decaf is decaffeinated green tea with mango and calendula. When I open the package, the first thing I smell is the sweet, fruity mango… and that is about all I can smell from the dry leaves. The blend is tiny rolled and twisted green tea with big chunks of mango and pieces of calendula. The mix of dark green, yellow, and orange is pretty.

The freshly brewed tea smells of sweet and tart mango. There is a floral scent in the background, but I can’t figure out if it’s from the green tea or the calendula. The liquor is a pretty orange color.





The taste is fruity and tart. Mango is the main flavor I pick up in the first couple of sips. The tea was quite bitter… more so than I thought it would be. The bitterness may be more from the calendula (because the plant is described as having bitter qualities) and not necessarily the green tea.

The aftertaste is fruity and sweet, but also a little astringent. I still don’t taste the green tea anywhere, however. I would say this tea is medium bodied because of the punch from the tart mango.

It would be interesting to see what this tea would taste like iced. Mango is a refreshing flavor so I believe some ice cubes and a pinch of sugar would ease some of the tartness and make this tea a nice treat.

No comments: