Monday, July 27, 2009

Earl Grey Creme Brulee

Lately, it has become a weekly thing for my boyfriend and his father to plan a “grilling out” menu for a Sunday dinner. They both are really passionate about food and preparing it… while my boyfriend’s mother and I are really passionate about eating it.

So, for last night’s dinner we had a whole roasted duck, penne carbonara with bacon, squash, and parmaggina-reggino, and clover leaf rolls… and, oh yeah, Earl Grey crème brulee for dessert.

It was the first time I have ever had crème brulee and one made with tea was a great introduction to the French dessert. They wouldn’t tell me what flavor it was (they wanted to surprise me) so when I took my first bite I thought “No way!” It was really tasty! It had a great texture with the smooth custard and the crunchy, sweet, caramelized sugar crust.

The level of Earl Grey flavor was nice. I could taste the sweet bergamot flavor more than the black tea, but that was ok because it was meant to be a sweet dessert.

Sorry for the lack of quality in the pictures. I had to take them with the camera on my phone.

2 comments:

Steph said...

W-O-W!

teatimer said...

oooh, earl grey creme brulee! Sounds so yummy. I love expanding the horizons of tea to other culinary experiences. There is a vanilla creme earl grey at californateahouse.com that i like too. Its very desserty.