Friday, August 7, 2009

Mighty Leaf’s Coco Chai Review

Type: Chai (Rooibos base)
Origin: South Africa
Price: Sample (regular price - $8.95 for 4oz.)
Vendor: Mighty Leaf
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 200°F-205°F, steeped for 5 - 7 minutes
Overall Score: 4.6 out of 5

Coco Chai is a blend of rooibos, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, red peppercorns, and coconut. I can smell the fruity immediately followed by the sweet coconut. There is a spicy aroma in the background, but I can’t tell if it is from the ginger or the peppercorns. I can see slivers of coconut, cardamom, and whole peppercorns mixed in with the tiny red rooibos.

While steeping, the tea smells of fruity rooibos and sweet coconut. I can smell the ginger and cinnamon, as well. Those aromas put together give the tea a sweet but spicy smell. The liquor is a pretty orange or copper color.





Just like the aroma, the taste is an awesome blend of sweet and spicy. I taste the fruity rooibos first. Then the sweet coconut settles in the aftertaste. Finally, a couple of seconds later the ever so gentle amount of heat from the cinnamon and ginger creeps up in the aftertaste. The more I sip, the more of the battle between the sweet coconut and the spices becomes noticeable.

Bitterness and astringency is not an issue with this blend. The sweetness from the rooibos and coconut seem to take care of the bitterness while the spices have been kept to the right amount as to not become unpleasant in the mouth.

I would say go ahead and add some milk if you want (since that is how chai is traditional prepared). That would mellow out some of the spices and bring out the coconut even more. However, I think the flavors in this tea are exceptional on their own.

1 comment:

teatimer said...

I love Rooibos, especially in the chai form. I can recommend you one that I know you will like if you are into Rooibos, from www.CaliforniaTeaHouse.com that is called Tiramisu and you need no sugar, it tastes just like is sounds.