Saturday, September 5, 2009

Pearl Tea’s Assam Review

Type: Black
Origin: India
Price: Sample (regular price - $12.50 for 3oz.)
Vendor: Pearl Teas
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 200°F-203°F, steeped for 0.5 - 3 minutes
Overall Score: 4.4 out of 5

Assam is a black tea from India. The tea smells fresh, woody, and smoky. However, I really have to hold the tea close to my nose to obtain the aroma. The leaves are small twisted pieces which are rather dark brown in color.

The liquor is a nice copper color. The freshly brewed tea smells woody and smoky. Again, I have to put my nose to the cup to gather the aroma.





The taste is bold, brisk, and invigorating. It is slightly bitter and quite astringent – I start to feel my mouth becoming dry after only the second sip. Just like in the aroma, the taste is slightly smoky with woody characteristics, as well. In the aftertaste I also pick up a slight fruity-like taste along with the smoky flavor.

I brewed this tea closer to the 3 minute mark of their suggested steep time. Although, I normally brew my black teas around 4-5 minutes, this tea still has a nice bold flavor that would stand up well to milk and sugar – but who needs those?

No comments: