Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pearl Tea’s Rooibos Lemon Creme Review

Type: Rooibos
Origin: South Africa
Price: Sample (regular price - $12.50 for 3oz.)
Vendor: Pearl Teas
Brewing Method: Per Instructed - 1 teaspoon of leaves, 1 cup of filtered water, heated to 194°F-203°F, steeped for 2 - 3 minutes
Overall Score: 3.5 out of 5

Rooibos Lemon Crème is a mix of rooibos, lemongrass, and marigold petals. I smell the fruity rooibos right away, followed by the lemony flavors. The blend mostly consists of reddish-brown bits of rooibos. Strips of green lemongrass and marigold petals can be seen throughout the blend.

The freshly brewed tea smells of pungent rooibos with a hint of lemon in the background. The fruity aroma from the rooibos is what I smell if I get my nose anywhere near the cup. The liquor is a reddish-orange color.





The taste is sweet and more subtle than I thought it was going to be. I can taste the rooibos in the first sip and in the aftertaste, but the lemon is a little hard to find. I notice the lemon flavor if I actively search for it, but it is so subtle I may not have known it was in the blend unless I was told.

Overall the taste is sweet, fruity, and smooth. There is no bitterness or astringency. I found the taste very mild for being a rooibos. I think maybe a slightly longer steep time would pack a heartier punch and may bring out the flavor of the lemon some more – I can smell the lemon, but I just can’t taste it.

No comments: